View Single Post
Old 03-20-2015, 10:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics LS427. Self-built 408W, AFR 195 heads, Performer RPM Intake, Quick Fuel 750, 407rwhp, 479rwtq
Not Ranked     

Now I'm not so sure.

Gaz64 says the input shaft wiggle is normal. The inside of the bellhousing is wet with oil. There is also a black grainy substance everywhere. Not sure if this is just dirt that got in thru the clutch fork opening, spent clutch material, or something that came out of the motor or transmission. What is this black stuff?

I tried to remove the throwout bearing sleeve, but couldn't get it to budge. I took off the four screws that appeared to be holding it in place, but it still wouldn't release. I attempted to pry it with very light pressure - still not coming off. I didn't want to force it.

When I went to drain the transmission, it seemed full of fluid and the oil looked clean. None of the black grainy stuff noted in the bellhousing. Earlier when I said the clutch and flywheel looked dry - that was before I removed them. Took the clutch pressure plate off today. Clutch disk is dry. Front of the flywheel is dry.

Next I took off the flywheel. The engine side of the flywheel has a little oil. The engine side of the engine plate is wet with oil. The back of the motor wall is minimally wet with oil. The back of the crank and back of #5 main cap also lightly 'misted' with oil. The 'freeze plug' looking thing behind the cam was a little wet too. Nothing obvious anywhere but it all was 'misted' with oil.

So I cleaned everything on the back of the motor with a shop rag. Turned the motor to TDC, and removed the distributor. Next, I ran the oil pump with a driver. I didn't see anything leaking. I ran it for quite a while - so much it burned up my drill. Not a single drop (or hint of a drop) of oil anywhere visible on the back of the motor. Even though the flywheel bolts were on the floor, there was no oil coming out. I tried to blow into each of the holes and no air would go in. I stuck a small screwdriver into the holes and it didn't go more than 1 inch into the crank. This is a SCAT crank so I'm thinking their flywheel bolt holes are blind and don't go into the oil system.

I first noted this leak shortly after I installed the new motor - 408w. I had a 351w initially. I didn't have any leak then. Before the recent dyno tuning, every time I would drive it, I would get a small drip that would come off the engine plate. Last month I took everything off, replaced the RMS, was very careful about sealing the main cap and oil pan. That did nothing. Immediately I noticed it was still leaking. Still a small puddle - same size as before. About 1/2 tsp I would guess. Diameter of the puddle on the floor was about 2 inches. After the dyno session, the puddle has grown to about 12 inches across. It also has a black appearance. Before the dyno it looked like clear oil. Now its dirty black.

What next? I am definately going to replace the tranny. It won't last behind the motor anyway. Do the symptoms sound more like the RMS or the tranny? Should I put the flywheel back on and run the motor without the clutch and transmission to see if that makes it leak? Is it ok to do that?

Last edited by Texasdoc; 03-20-2015 at 11:14 AM..