View Single Post
Old 03-28-2015, 11:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI FIA, 289HP (5-bolt), 48IDA Webers
Not Ranked     

I thought that this problem had been aliviated over the years of production! If you use the search function you can find previous posts about the same issue. If the differential is equipped with the proper differential cover with the breather tube and internal fluid deflector say like a Jaguar XKE differential cover there should be no reason that a "catch can" should be used in the first place. I know that if you "Google" the part number that is stamped on your differential cover you can get an idea of the original application. The only reason that I see that a "catch can" might be used is in a racing application where higher temperatures and or sloshing of the fluid might cause fluid to escape from the breather and need to be trapped in a container to prevent spillage onto the road surface. A reservoir utilized in a "splash" lubrication system to store fluid is telling me that: 1) the fluid ievel is overfilled causing the fluid to aerate (air bubbles) and expand from the confines of the differential into the reservoir, air bubbles in a lubrication system are not good. 2) the fluid is overheating and expanding into the reservoir, another not so good issue. The only lubrication system where an external reservoir system should be used is in a "dry sump" application where you have a pump that supplies lubrication to the mechanical device and a pump that scavenges the fluid from the device and returns it back to the reservoir. For reuse. Please keep in mind that the "DANA 44" differential both solid axle and independent axle configurations were used in many applications by many manufacturers over the years for both the rear wheel drive as well as 4-wheel drives, I would source a differential cover from a Jaguar application and see if this fixes your problem.

Last edited by CompClassics; 03-28-2015 at 12:12 PM..