View Single Post
Old 04-14-2015, 08:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
Obviously, in labor and employment I have ongoing relationships with these folks (fighting unions, employment litigation). Some are the biggest produce companies in the world, others produce the wine you have with your meals, and still others are mom and pop farms where the owners take care of their business at the kitchen table. The one thing they (and I) do is treat legal services as just another element of getting the job done, and they know to employ legal (anything from union prevention strategies to ensuring compliance with employment laws) to prevent problems like class actions, just like applying pesticides to prevent bugs before they attack.
I spent 22+ years working for an IBM subsidiary in the IT services industry. Much of that was involved in putting together and negotiating service agreements with customers, often multi-year outsourcing agreements. I found it advantageous to engage the legal team early in the process, while many of my peers waited as long as they could to bring the legal folks in. Let's just say the former approach worked out much better than the latter.