View Single Post
Old 04-20-2015, 07:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Internal vs. External Balancing

Brent -- I don’t think I missed it in your description of the two engines, I saw it was noted they were Scat cast cranks, but were the rotating assemblies internally or externally balanced? Is internal balancing something you highly recommend if going with a new stroker build anyway, or is it not really worth the expense unless for a build that is going to see some demanding, high RPM operation?

Along the lines of expense, approximately how much does it add to the cost of a build? I have always read that it adds to the cost, but I don’t think I have ever seen a dollar figure stated. I think I saw on the Eagle website where all of their 4340 forged cranks are internally balanced, and obviously more expensive, but wondered if when going with a cast crank, if internal balancing is overkill. Any opinions and dollar figures welcomed.
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different rumble. Let him step to the sidepipes which he hears, however measured or far away. - H.D. Thoreau...if he had owned a Cobra