Thread: Mark III Build
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2015, 06:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Survival Motorsports aluminum FE 482
Not Ranked     
Default Mark III Build

I had ordered a Superformance MKIII on January 22, 2015. It is now in transit across the Ocean.

My goal for the car is not to appear "real" but to appeal to me. I also like the turns and will likely take it out on some tracks and try some autocross.

For the Chassis I ordered:

Dark gray with black stripes
Tonneau cover (no soft top)
Polished Stainless Quicklifts
Driver and Passenger Roll bar
Silver Ceramic Headers
Black Ceramic Side Pipes
Stainless Surge tank
Standard Size foot box (fits FE)
Glove Box
Leather Steering Wheel
Delete rims

The car is going to be assembled by Olthoff racing in NC. I was going to do it myself but the season is short here in Michigan and with a car of this nature I did not think a learning curve was a good thing. I would like the suspension dialed in by someone who has lots of experience. My thoughts are there will be plenty of opportunity to work on it.

I am going to have them swap out the roll bars for their roll bars. They are taller so they are above a helmeted drivers head. They have a thicker wall thickness. They are more vertical than standard. Some tracks will not let you play if the roll bar is not above the drivers head.

Part of their install kit is urethane motor and trans mounts.

I am going to have them add urethane sway bar bushings.

I ordered wheels from Bob at Vintage. I had him powder coat them a satin black, on the dull side.
They will have Michelin Pilot Sport 2's 335/30/18 in the rear and 275/35/18 in the front.

For the Trans I ordered a Tremec TKO 600 with .82 5th gear from Liberty Gear here in MI. it includes:
•Bronze Shift Fork Pads
•Surface Enhancement Processed Hubs & Sliders
•Internal Shift Linkage Upgrade
•Carbon Fiber Blocking Rings—2nd, 3rd & 4th Gear
•Liberty's Exclusive Threaded Front Cluster Bearing Support
• Pro 5.0 Shifter.

It should shift as good as a TKO600 can shift.

I went with Barry Rabotnick at Survival Motorsports for the engine. I will include a few photos of the engine in process but the details will have to wait for another post when I have more time.

Now some photos from South Africa

Some Photos from MI