Thread: Mark III Build
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2015, 06:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Survival Motorsports aluminum FE 482
Not Ranked     
Default Reserved for Engine Details

The engine is a Side Oiler Garage aluminum FE block with a Scat Forged Crank, Scat H beam Rods, 482 cubic inches. Side Oiler are the people from Genesis reborn. I am told they changed the way they are pouring the blocks and the castings look very good. The compression target is 10.8 to one. Barry is going to use his Survival FElony heads port matched but not ported, 2.200/1.710 valves.

The cam will be a hydraulic roller 242/248@.50 643/637 with 110 lobe separation.

I wanted to go with a Blue Thunder dual plane but none are available. That leads me to a Edelbrock RPM manifold. Very similar performance wise but the Blue Thunder has an oil filler hole in the front which can be used for a breather so you can have valve covers with no holes. I want a PCV system to keep oil mist in the engine bay to a minimum. Barry is going to mill a hole in the back of the RPM manifold for the PCV basket.

The pan is going to be a Moroso road race pan with baffles and trap doors to keep the oil in the pickup area.

For a carb we are going with a Quick Fuel Q-850 Black Diamond. The Black Diamond designation is a magic coating that is supposed to drop the fuel temperature by 6%. It is also resistant to chemical and might look better longer. Certainly not an original look but but I am building it for me. With the under hood temps I thought I would hedge my bet. Also in keeping with my road course thinking I am having the custom shop at Quick Fuel put in wedge shaped floats so in a sustained turn the sloshing fuel does not starve the engine for fuel.

Ignition will be a MSD AL6, I went to that level because I want the rev limiter. For a vehicle that is easy to spin the wheels that is likely a good investment.

I am on the fence for valve covers. I wanted chrome Pent Roof with no holes. Because the Blue Thunder intake is not available that is not possible. I am either going to go with Chrome Pent roof valve covers with holes or Blue Thunder bead blasted competition valve covers. Again not original but a good look and easy enough to change later.

The target for this engine is 600/600 with a flat curve. Barry is confident he can achieve that with his heads without porting. If that is true they are pretty good in their stock configuration which was his goal. Something between a stock Edelbrock head and a ported Edelbrock head. The head can still be ported to achieve bigger numbers.

Maybe Barry will chime in with more information.

Last edited by Detroit Bill; 05-08-2015 at 05:03 AM.. Reason: Update