View Single Post
Old 05-17-2015, 07:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MK III Roadster, Roush 402
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the specs, DW and MAXX.

The previous owner used Mobile 1 10W-30 in this engine, which is still in it. From a cold start, the water temperature takes 7 to 10 minutes idling to reach 80 C (177F), so it doesn't seem that this radiator has a high-performance thermostat. The oil temperature lags the water temperature during warm-up, but after reaching operating temperature, the oil temperature stays 7 to 15C above water temperature. Driving around town, the water temperature stays in the 80 – 90C (177 - 194F) range, and oil temperature 92 – 97C (198 - 207F).

The oil pressure is 60 PSI at a cold start, and gradually moves down to 42 psi when fully warm. Driving around town, it stays around 47 psi.

On a spring day last week (May, 83F, sunny,) I drove about 15 minutes on the freeway, (72 mph, 2200 RPM, fifth gear) and then hit a Texas sized traffic jam, and spent 10 minutes in stop and go traffic. After a few minutes of S & G, I glanced at the oil temp, and saw 104C (219F). Yikes! The water temp was 95C (203F), so the radiator fan has not yet switched on. I threw the manual switch, (which the previous owner had labeled 'kenlowe') and the oil temperature dropped to 100C in a few minutes.

This roadster Superformance does not have an oil cooler, and I'm wondering if I might need one? In this part of Texas, we get many summerdays above 100F. A plexiglass cover for the oil radiator does seem a good idea. The previous (original) owner lived in cool Connecticut, and I'd hate to damage this sweet sounding motor with boiling oil.

Bonus question: In what country did the previous owner grow up?