CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     

Answers below in RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Peaks View Post
The more I read about this new "venture" of SAI, the more torn I am about how to feel about it. There is no doubt having Kirkham involved in the manufacture of these cars will assure the highest quality of build and ability to work with the customer to option these cares in any way money can buy and I mean that in the most sincere sense.

However, from the OP's original point, unless someone can show absolute proof that these chassis were built in the 63-67 time period by AC, had the CSX stamped numbers, and all the other parts were original parts (including the body), I can't see any way these can be considered "completion" cars in any way related to the original production. Other than the fact that they will have many original parts and be detailed as close to perfection as Kirkham hands can make them, these are no more or less than highly optioned continuation cars that will be overpriced and have speculation surround them for as long as Cobras are being discussed.

I don't think anyone is claiming these are 60's chassis any more. Certainly Bill and Joe are NOT claiming that. Everyone knows Carroll sprinkled a little snake oil on the story of their origin. My feeling is that snake oil is just part of the Carroll Shelby story. It's just who he was. (There is actually more to the story...maybe one day.)

The chassis started to be built in the late 80's early 90's. I could find an exact date if I asked Mike. Either that or I could look at the date on the drawings Mike gave me so long ago. I have known Mike for 25 years now and he is a dear friend of mine.

The bottom line is they are art. You don't buy these things because they are the ultimate rocket ship to ecstasy. You probably don't even buy them to drive them. (Kirkhams drive much, much better than an original--just ask anyone who has driven both of them.) Guys who buy these likely have SEVERAL Cobras to choose from on any given day.

You own one because they are a unique part of history and because they are beautiful. You own one because they tell a truly wild, uniquely American story that starts in the 90's and still goes on today (just look how long this thread is). On top of all that--their beauty is timeless.

For the stratospheric pricing we can assume will be charged for these cars, they will never be "original" cars in the sense of the 60's cars. And the fact they are bastard children probably related to the fiasco Shelby was involved in in the 80's/90's? will instill a cloud over there existence.
The fact also that a third party is building them also takes away from their provenance, IMHO, as something represented as "completion" of the original series should be manufactured by the original manufacturer IMO.

Now, having Kirkham build these cars could be part of the plan and have some advantages. Since Shelby is selling the cars, but only supplying the parts they may have a plausible explanation to sell these cars in the same way as rollers are sold and a third party installs the drivetrain (and other options). This may make it possible to register them for the street which would be a huge advantage since there don't seem to be many race series that are well suited to Cobras these days and the only other use for an off road Cobra is as art or window dressing.

I am curious about a few things since I've scratch built my Cobra and am aware of the "shortcomings" of the original style frames and the Cobra Restorer's drawings which were patterned after the originals (and my chassis also built to these drawings, I assume). Since Kirkham has gone to considerable expense and trouble to build symmetrical chassis and bodies, doesn't that mean some modifications will have to be made to their bodies to fit these frames? Perhaps David could answer this question better? Or would custom bodies be built just to fit these chassis?

The Cobra Restorers drawings are horrible. I think they are pretty much unusable. I am not saying this to cast any dispersions on Chuck. I think Chuck is a great guy who has helped us tremendously over the years. Those drawing were really the best anyone had for a long, long time. In a way I am grateful for them as all those errors taught me a ton about CAD. (They were made long, long ago before CAD.)

Most of the chassis don't have sub-structure tubes on them so there won't be a problem putting our body on.

This whole discussion is getting more interesting by the day, but still doesn't change the fact this is still the same old song and dance Carrol Shelby has always been known for. With all the discussion surrounding Shelby-Original cars, continuation cars, Anniversary cars, Completion cars, etc.... I guess the old adage applies here- "any press is good press" (paraphrased)

Bob
"Fear is the thief of dreams."