View Single Post
Old 05-19-2015, 07:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Most pump you can remove the pulley with the pump in place. It takes a special pulley removal tool.

If you are destroying belts there must be a reason. Are they jumping a rib for some reason? You may need to look closer at the alignment in the rest of the system. Something out of alignment in the system may be putting some side loads on the belt causing it to jump. I'd start with this before going to the trouble of machining new pulleys.

I also wonder at putting that much load through a single 5 rib belt. The original system had a 6 rib just for driving water pump alternator and PS and a separate 4 rib for the AC. All that load is now pushing through a 5 rib. The serpentine belts rely on surface area to transmit the power. It's basically a row of micro v belts joined together. The V shaped belt forced into it's grove provides the friction to transmit the drive. The big advantage of the small V shape is you can turn it through a much smaller radius than a traditional V belt and you can use the back of the belt to drive.

Transmitting the drive relies on getting as much surface area connected between the belt and the pulley as possible. Going from a 6 rib to a 5 rib means you suddenly have 16.6% less surface area available. You would have to wonder how many HP you are actually trying to transmit through the one belt and what it is rated to.

Cheers