View Single Post
Old 05-31-2015, 06:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Doug View Post
I hated the Camaro brakes. The single large piston made for a very squishy, long-travel brake pedal that felt unsafe and disconcerting.

I upgraded with some dual piston SSBC brakes for about $500 from Summit Racing. They were a direct replacement for the Camaro brakes and bolted right into place. The SSBC brakes feel solid, safe, and I have plenty of stopping power. I left the rear brakes alone, and I believe the ERA outboard brakes came from the Corvette. I don't have any weird front-rear biasing issues on braking.

My car is a 289 FIA with a 331 stroker.

DD
Doug,
That is an excellent idea. I just went to Summitt to take a look. I was not sure of the year so I went with 1975 Camaro for a guess. They have many choices to pick from. in SSBC Do you remember or have the specific SSBC model you ordered. They also have Wilwood upgrade choices also. If I was to go this route, I think I would also spring for new rotors and bearings, they seem reasonably priced. I am assuming all of this is Camaro?

I have the 427 car and you have the FIA; same braking system? So you made no change to the master cyl and had no issues? That is encouraging. I can't believe it could be this easy. Did you have to adjust the bias considering the fronts should now be much better and grabbier than the rears.

Also love your idea of changing out the rubber lines. My car is 12 years old, so I should probably do this for the front and rear brakes! Like you said, "CHEAP INSURANCE". Does it take Camaro specific replacement rubber lines or something else?
Dave
ERA#698 428, 4 speed Toploader, 3:31 Jag rear

Last edited by davids2toys; 05-31-2015 at 07:02 AM..