View Single Post
Old 06-04-2015, 02:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default always love a challange

Hi Tim . The car at Kissimee was not 3133. Also the show was at Lakeland Sun and Fun airport. The car was my other car. The Kirkham driver. It was a great show. Did you see when I snuck out on the taxi way and made a few passes. I thought a guy in a yellow shirt was going to come out in a golf cart and throw me out of the airport. Did you see when some dope in a supercharged blue late model Corvette claiming 800 RWH and 24 pounds of boost came out to run. Lasted only 2 gears. He was shocked but was nice about it. Just kept saying I can't believe how fast those Cobra's are. I am glad you liked that car. My buddy is a major Corvette guy here in South Florida and asked me to bring the car to the very same Corvette show where my 67 car was judged years and years ago. He garages my car at his shop. He has 75 cars in his shop and almost 20 guys working for him. He is a 40 year great friend. Next about the certification of Corvettes. Sorry if I used the wrong technical term in your mind. And I really don't need to get into a Corvette discussion here. My point was due to the circumstances of their manufacturing process, clear trends and similarities could be documented. The Corvette guys were as I said far ahead of everyone else. I wanted to learn. I have been a student and a teacher of medicine all my life. It was an alternate source of information. Someones else's point of view. Sure the judges for the day are making decisions. Hopefully they know correctness. Even though I really don't want to start up with you. but you force me, it sounds like the judges of the day maybe didn't appreciate how nice your Corvette was. Just saying. Finally I am not going to respond anymore about the definition of certification, what NCRS stands for, or why they do what they do. They were a source of parallel information and understanding that I could use to improve my own knowledge about production, originality, sequencing, of Cobras. Done I hope with that. About the shift boot. 100% philips on the shift boot. Many 'experts' were concerned about that. Another responder has confirmed that. I have to think, if I have seen phillips hardware anywhere else in the car., from England. I have to check my early judging logs. Did you notice the clocking of 12 3 6 9 on the screw heads? Obviously not necessary or probable in production but I think a nice touch. You didn't mention the shifter. A Hurst??? I have the blueprint and instructions for that clearly labeled Shelby American 427 Mark 1966-1967. I went to Hurst in PA. Don't think it was in there catalog. I spoke to Joel Rosen about it. Not sure if it was special production or Joel talked George Hurst into making it and he would sell it. I saw Joel several years ago in Orlando at a PIR show doing some late model Camaro. Couldn't talk to him for long but he said it was special. I only have seen one other on the Motion drag car 427. Article in a Car magazine about three or four years ago. The uniqueness is the shifter is a Ford pattern reverse down like a ford shifter for a toploader, not Reverse up and to the left like most if not all Hurst Competition shifters. The transmission is also very very special. Finally there will always be nay- sayers [?} not sure if that is a word, in any discussion. If the guy who has a foggy memory of the 70's sends me a PM with your telephone number and I'll gladly discuss any details about the 70's with you. I love to talk about the old days a learn all over again. I liive in the 60's If you want to tell me that the body gaps were never that good, that the cars were never that straight, that my car never left AC with early webers, or a completely original 427 dry sump system, the article clearly discusses that. Read my purpose in finishing the car. All I do know, at the first Concours where it was seen by the public, Meadowbrook /StJohns in Detroit I received a special judges award for the" most desirable car in the show, the car that the judges all wanted to drive home", was engraved on the huge real silver cup that I received. The head judge said I can't give you best of show because only a car older than 1935 can get that. "Its political" . I really really would prefer to respond to detail questions, rather than defend the purpose and direction of the build. Early post today as I have my son's graduation from middle school ceremony tonight. Bob