View Single Post
Old 06-08-2015, 07:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
Rod, I don't know if you're trying to be intentionally inflammatory or not.

However, you do have a point. There is a recipe for 600 hp with a 482 ci FE.

But here is where your point becomes null and void: when the customer throws in a soda straw air cleaner in the middle of the build and no time to tune, all bets are off.

My carb guy and I will routinely sneak another 20-30 hp through a combination by carb tuning and timing adjustments. I have picked up 20-25 hp alone on some street applications just by changing the timing a few degrees. I started out with 600 (600!) hp with David Brown's 496. We ended up with 683 after a day of tuning.

For goodness sake, there were two dyno sheets shown....one ended up at 12.5:1 A/F and the other was at 12. Way too rich.

Again, I really have no dog in this fight, but Barry is less likely to come on here and argue with a customer publicly. However, if this would have been my customer, talking about how disappointed he was after hamstringing me with a tiny air cleaner and no time to tune, I would be livid.
Brent, if I'm the engine builder, then I'm going through my checklist of items to be discussed with the client along with any potential HP goals PRIOR TO THE ENGINE BUILD AND PRIOR TO ANY CONTRACT BEING SIGNED. So any air cleaner discussion is completed upfront. The air cleaner should have been discussed prior to the build, but if the client surprises the engine builder with a "soda straw" air cleaner during the build, then further communication about HP goals should have taken place and some type of buyer "waiver" signed along the lines of a change order, but stating reduced HP goals so engine builder manages expectations via client communication. The client deviated from the "recipe" and that should have been documented so we wouldn't be here at all.

I'm not trying to burn anyone. I have no "dog in this fight" either. But I see a problem and I also see a solution with strategy, planning and communication throughout the entire process.

Last edited by RodKnock; 06-08-2015 at 07:05 AM..