View Single Post
Old 06-08-2015, 09:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Or if they would just be happy if the builder tried his best. After all, that's all you can really ask from anybody... unless you're RodKnock, who apparently expects his builder to open a vein and bleed on the floor for him....
Patrick, when lawyers take cases, I'm sure they have complete frank discussions about the case and potential results based upon the lawyer's training and experience. And they document those discussions so the client and lawyer are both on the same wavelength. Doctors must advise their patients of all outcomes based upon their training and experience and document it in the same way.

All I'm saying is that any engine builder should have a checklist of questions and then discuss it with their client prior to taking a job. In no particular order and it's not an exhaustive list by any stretch, but here's a VERY simple checklist:

1. What's your budget?
2. What is the intended usage of the engine/car?
3. How much HP/tq would you like your engine to make?
4. What exhaust will you be using?
5. What air cleaner will you be using?
6. What type of car and will you be using a hood scoop?

Here's a range of outcomes to generally expect.....

And if something happens to change the original plan make sure you communicate with your client and have some sort of written correspondence that shows that the client is infomed of the change and it's possible outcome(s) and then proceed assuming the client approves. To me, it's just managing the client's expectations. That's all.

Bill, I'm sorry for derailing your build thread. But I come from both sides of this consumer/industry issue. And from someone looking in from the outside, it just looks like Business School 101 to me.

And NO, I'm not trying to be inflammatory to anyone, but as I've mentioned before, I'll usually be an advocate for the consumer in most instances.