View Single Post
Old 06-13-2015, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
Always scares me when government gets involved and sets up rules/regulations of anything. It always screws up what was in an effort to create something new. I would rather see them not involved at all.
Larry
Like it or not, government is already involved. Right now this happens principally at different levels applied inconsistently (e.g. 'state to state' vs. federal). This bill won't change that, but it may well provide some measure of consistency (one federal standard for subject vehicles which would be accepted by each state). An important provision of the proposed legislation is for manufacturers to be registered and subject to inspection, presumably to ensure compliance with standards. While some may be object, I believe this is a reasonable requirement.

I see this as the intent to open up another channel for replica automobiles - whether that be Cobra replicas or otherwise (e.g. Mercedes SSK, Duesenberg, Porsche 550, etc.). This would clearly allow current manufacturers and/or distributors of 'rollers' to install emissions-compliant powertrains and become 'low volume manufacturers'. I do not see this significantly affecting kit car or replica manufacturers other than those providing 'rollers' or 'turn key minus' cars.