View Single Post
Old 06-16-2015, 10:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None. Yet.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
I do not believe you'll piss off any owners, it's your money, you buy what you want with it. Of course with that said, and having owned 4 ERA cobras to date (3-427SC's, 1-289FIA), I can say you are going to love it. Your plan is sound, maybe rethink your engine choice (200hp is enough to kill you in one of these cars), otherwise you are right on track.
Bill, I think I remember you from old Mustang message boards and (I think?) the Vintage Mustang forum. I believe you steered me away from a bad 66 Convertible in ~2000. Suffice it to say, I value your opinion greatly, and your affinity for ERAs is one of the main reasons that I've settled on that make.

You're right about the engine. So much of the car game is about bench racing with buddies in person and online, and I've likely succumbed to that. That said, I really don't care about the ponies under the hood. I had a bored/stroked 289 in my 67 A-Code Fastback that put out way more power than I had any interest in using on the street. Even on the track I've learned how little horsepower means compared to good driving*.

I'm off to do some rebudgeting based on an all-iron FE. Thanks again for your input!

* My wife bought me a two-day driving class at Porsche Driving School. The instructors drove base 911 Carreras while students drove Carrera S models with an extra 50 horsepower. Instructors pulled ahead in every turn and on every straight, and they were still sandbagging it to stay in view.