View Single Post
Old 06-16-2015, 10:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Bill's giving you a wonderful tip. Think about a nice, custom built 390FE from Lykins. It will look no different than a side oiler or a 428, and it will have more power than you can ever possibly imagine. That just might save you close to ten grand. Maybe.
The only reason I've talked Keith Craft up over Blykins is due to his location you could visit his shop a little easier and even pick the engine up yourself. Both have a ton of experience and are competitive.

Seems that when I had Keith do my engine (about 4 years ago) the premium on a 428 block over a 390 block was about $500. I suspect that may have increased by now. Keith expressed that he typically prefers to use a new crank rather than spend money reconditioning a used one - so building a 4.125 inch or 4.25 inch stroker motor was very little additional. It's fairly easy to get up to 445 cu in from a 390 block. Dressed out nobody can tell a 390 from a 428 without tearing it down to a bear block. In a Cobra you can't hardly tell a 427 SO from a 428/390 without crawling under the car (good luck with that without jack, ramps or a lift).