View Single Post
Old 04-26-2002, 02:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Hi Kevin - I don't know what the Pavilions is, but Hersh mentioned a while ago that it might be worth going to the local drive in on the Saturday before the Fling. He said about 200 cars often turn up. I'd love to meet up with some guys that can't make the Fling! On the Monday 17th June there's a send-off party which is also the monthly meeting, so I'm hoping that there'll be a good rollup there as well.

Scott - have you ever attached a video to your car when you're on the track? I have a fantastic video of a Shelby Spec Cobra at Willow, and I'd love to see your car being driven hard on a track

I spoke at length with the dyno guy as well as Motec tech guys today. The dyno has a MASSIVE air to water intercooler that has such a vast water resevoir that you can stabilise intake air temps at any level you desire. As such, complete fuel/ignition tables can be formulated for an inlet air temp of 50 degrees, then 60 degrees, then 70, 80, 90 etc. Hopefully this can provide a strong base tune up for any weather conditions when referenced against TPS, MAP and RPM.

Here's a quick reply I received from Motec today. I rang them for some other questions I had, but I thought you might be interested to hear what they had to say about some of my previous questions:

Hello Craig,
I have not heard an argument against having Wide Band Lambda sensors on high horsepower forced induction set-ups, the new Bosch LSU that we now use reacts very quickly. I would think that the reaction time of a WB lambda sensor would be quicker than a temperature thermocouple. One thing that I would like to say, and it is my standard advice, is that if the engine is properly tuned to start with, compensations as well, there should be no need to tune on the run and if you have an injector fouling it needs to be fixed.

I agree that having eight individual sensors to monitor individual cylinders is the best way to go but spark and fuel trimming is done to the engine as a whole on the go (eg Lambda control). Individual cylinder trimming can be done in the tuning stage but the proportions (between cylinders) are set so if you have a compensation based on exhaust temp or lambda wanting to richen one cylinder then all the cylinders get the same amount of enrichment. Yes there is a facility to warn of individual cylinders getting hot but this is a general warning light and will only tell you if there is a problem and not which one it is. If you had one of our Dashes then all these things would be easy, a warning would be specific and in big writing.

One other thing I don't think there is much likely hood of a sudden injector failure that would be alerted to you quickly enough to save the engine from pain. Like you said if the injector slowly dies over a long period you could see it in the logging . I hope I have answered your questions, feel free to get back to me my answer was based on a time thing and not wanting you to wait over the week end, it could probably be discussed further to keep your mind at ease.

"save the engine from pain" Engines have feelings too you know!!!!!