Thread: Jag IRSs
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2015, 03:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Two big things

jagirs Jim #1 thing is stronger stub shafts. CWI used to sell 30 spline stubbies. I am on my 2nd set. First setup was stub shafts made down under and they twisted over time of hard abuse. I have gone to a detroit locker with 30 spline from the Jeep world. This rearend has held up for over 13 years of autocross and road racing. Adding a support cover to this center section would be another option to help support and control the caps in the housing. Yes Jeep world and have one. The stock salibury rear carrier needs to have 27 spline side gears removed and 30 spline gears install. Not easy but we have alot of good mechanics here that can do this job. I modified a Dana 44 carrier to work in my cobra. Getting a good price on Quieffe rear carriers would be another plus. Most guys here up the power levels over the years. I started with 348hp and 446 ft of torque and now in the all most 600+ feet of torque and 500 hp with a 484 motor. I am going into the 600/600 range on the last motor, and then some. The torque load on these rearends is the failure problem. The Salsbury is safe at the 450/450 level. The CWI went to the 600/600 level. Need to get back there. Tires are getting better and some cars are pulling 1.1-1.3G's on accel. That's hard on a rearend.
#2 Brakes for this rearend. I have solid rotors and when racing the brake pedal gets soft. Too much heat going down the trans tunnel and cooking the rotors and pads. Fluid almost boiling. The finned rotor kit for the inners would be another great option. I don't want to goto the outboard system for about 3-4K$$$. I don't know if the finned rotor kit really worked.
Anyway here a good place and projects to look at and what CC members want. IF you can rebuild a unit, this is a plus at a good price. Good luck Rick L.