Thread: Really curious?
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2015, 05:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star with IRS, 427W with megasquirt, T56 magnum
Neutral     

LOL!!!

When I built mine, starting 5 years ago, I read the directions and quickly discarded them. In my wasted youth, I had to work on my own cars, but for the 6 yrs prior to the Cobra, I hadn't even so much as lifted the hood, other than the day I bought it just to peep, on my last 5 cars. This is to say, I knew what a muffler bushing and brass file were, and can think, but was far from up to speed on the actual mechanics.

Once I dove in, I went way off the reservation thinking I could build a better mouse trap (and I think I did). I looked at others pictures for things like where to the headers need to go relative to the frame for mounting the engine, but anything else I figured out the hard way, either from doing it twice or sometimes, successfully thinking ahead 6 steps and seeing how it needed to be done.

The key to building a LSC is mustering the confidence that you know as much about it as they do.

Just out of curiosity, what part has you scratching your head? I bet it's a part I cut up and used for something else.

Edit-add-

The only thing I wondered about was where to cut holes in the body. IE the steering column, headers, roll bar and windshield. Then I spent a lot of time looking at as many other cars as possible for pedal location and feel. Since your right foot has to work the brake and gas, and sometimes both at the same time, their relative locations are critical.

Last edited by Luce; 07-27-2015 at 05:33 AM..