Thread: Jag IRSs
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2015, 02:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi joyridin'

Amen, we are not here to argue, but to discuss ideas. I appreciate your input.

A comment on your thread which confused me…you stated a .944" rotor, I assume vented. Being a Wilwood and AFCO dealer and reseller for other rotor companies, none, to my knowledge, have a .944" rotor, so I am gong to assume it might be sold as a 1" rotor?

I haven't found any off-the-shelf rotor company the manufactures a vented rotor for the Jag IRS….Wilwood and AFCO don't and non of my suppliers do. Are yours from a one-off supplier?

Some comments about our logic and reasoning. Keep in mind, that in custom work, there are always compromises/trade-offs. We have tried to address these for the best possible out come for brakes on the Jag IRS.

Let's look at one of the problems with the Jag IRS…stub axle oil seal leaks. The most common complaint we get from our customers. I have personally had Jags under my 2 of vehicles,... both developed this problem.

What is contributing to this?
One major culprit is HEAT. A well documented history.
With OEM installations you have a small solid rotor with a HAT that puts the rotors in very close proximity to the diff and stub axle seals. Another problem with this, it limits air flow to the area.

Our solution...
Putting the rotor further away from the diff would do 2 things…get the rotor heat further away and have less restrictive to air flow over there area.
Use as big of a VENTED rotor as possible w/o interfering with the cross member and mount it as far away from the diff as possible.

How…
Wilwood 10 ¾" VENTED rotors mounted DIRECTLY onto the stub axle flange with NO HAT, allowing better air flow as well as putting rotor heat further away from the diff.
Compromise/trade off…the rotor is very close to the LCA requiring a small amount of relief grinding that doesn't weaken the LCAs.

Our second biggest complaint…inadequate braking with the OEM Jag calipers.

Now that we have a different rotor set-up it allows us to look at new caliper options. The options turned out to be few….
First option, calipers with an integral Ebrake to satisfy state safety regulations.

There were only 2 with an integral Combination P/E-Brake, Wilwood and Girling Corvettes. The Wilwood was for a 13" rotor, so it was out…leaving only the Vette which was huge.
Compromise/trade off…the Vette calipers hit the rear cover requiring it to be dimpled for clearance, with NO other options on rear covers.

Second solution…separate calipers for braking and parking.
Again, due to room and clearance problems with the diff, both give front and rear limited choices. Wilwood has 2 Parking Brake calipers, 1 for a 13" rotor which is huge and desirable, but it was too big to mount on the front hitting the diff. On the rear, it just didn't fit the 11' rotor….so it was out, leaving us with the Aluminum caliper we are using, front mounted.

Front mounted caliper selection was really hampered by the amount of room due to hitting the diff. Rear mounted caliper choices were few also. The only workable calipers we could find were single piston. Our choice,…Giriling Vette, being tried, finned for additional cooling, floaters, off- the shelf, inexpensive and showy when polished. Much cheaper than any of the few Wilwoods.

This leads us to solid rotor kits…found only one outstanding caliper with an integral Ebrake, Girling race caliper with a casting number 1 off the the '84 Vette Girling's casting number.
Compromise/trade off…It is big enough to only allow finned aluminum rear covers….no faux Quick Changes rear covers, hard to fit front mounted do to size.

With enough inquiries, we developed a front mounted caliper with Ebrakes on the Series II diff to allow the show guys run their faux Quick Changes rear covers on the solid rotor.
Compromise/trade off…it is such a tight fit it requires relief grinding on the diff for clearance for the Ebrake cable bracket.

Overall trade off…very expensive development costs. Please keep in mind that all of our products have been CAD designed and CNC manufactured. All brackets and adaptors are CNC machined from BILLET STEEL, not aluminum.

if anyone has comments, it might be easier to just email me, jhe@inebraska.com

All of the products and services are viewable at jheengineering.com.