View Single Post
Old 07-30-2015, 10:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

When I assembled my ERA it used a 3/4 inch master and I think the slave is 3/4 inch also (not completely sure) and I used a McLeod diapragm clutch. It was a bit heavier that I was expecting but even worse, the clutch throw seemed very long - it used the entire pedal throw. I switched to a 7/8 inch master and accordingly the pedal effort increased a little but the throw was more shorter. After I broke in the clutch the throw lessened further to where I could probably go back to the 3/4 inch master without problem. Assuming you have a 3/4 inch master (the Tilton cylinders have the size embossed in the side of the casting) I would expect the clutch to be slightly heavy, but not nearly as much so as you are describing. Have you examined the pedal am closely to see if possibly there is more than one mounting point for the rod to the master cylinder? Making sure that the cylinder is aligned with the push rod as well as possible also will minimize pedal pressure due to eccentric loading.