View Single Post
Old 08-02-2015, 11:11 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     
Default Stuck throttle tonight on freeway!!

I got the carb running perfect in the Shelby. I was beaming, giving my wife looks, like, "aren't I something?" We were cruising along the freeway, minding our own business. Then, some a-hole in a BMW is right on my tail. I mean, I can't see his headlights
He changes lanes which is about to merge with mine. I step on it, to put a damper on his plans. Well, the pedal 'gives' to the floor, and she's revving fast. I pull her out of gear and turn off the engine off real quick (lucky for the rev limiter). It was definitely a pucker moment but I kept my cool, doing what I mentally prepared for countless times. I coasted to the shoulder under a street light and popped the hood. The metal piece that wraps like a 'U' around the throttle linkage rod had slipped and settled on the rear side of the linkage. Kind of hard to explain. Nothing a couple turns of a wrench couldn't fix but damn. Got back on the road, continuing with my "aren't I something?" glances.

This actually happened in the Kirkham too, except that it slipped so that I had 'no' throttle. I'm usually a bit of a gorilla with fasteners but these have gotten by me.

At any rate, double check your throttle linkage!!