View Single Post
Old 08-16-2015, 09:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Not a lot of interesting progress to report. Been busy with work and jobs around the house.

Had a big rearrange in the workshop. I've paneled the other side wall and moved all the shelving from the rear of the shed to the side. During the moving I'f tried to throw out a lot of old junk that I'll probably never use. Still more junk to go. I've also put up more fluro lighting on that side of the shed and wired in a permanent power point for the hoist so I don't need to run a lead out every time.

On the Cobra I've been trying to get panels to fit correctly and the boot lid has needed some work. I fitted up the bonnet the other day only to discover the nice PS reservoir and it's mount are in the wrong spot. I miscalculated and the bracing on the underside of the bonnet hits on the top of the reservoir Grrr. So the reservoir is moving to the end of the foot box and I've had to redo some of the plumbing.

While I was looking in the engine bay I decided to sort out a few other jobs (Ones that are a lot more fun than bloody fiberglass and bodywork)

I had added a filler neck and pressure cap setup on the old water pump. It let me get rid of the header tank and gave a good spot to purge any air out of the system. Unfortunately when I had originally done it I had a pin hole in one of the welds and chases it all over trying to fix it. I decided to cut the neck off and start again. The new one turned out much neater and I'm a bit more confident of the weld. It may look a little ugly as I went over it a couple of times to hopefully ensure no pinholes. I'll grind the weld down and blend the area so it'll kind of look factory.

While I was messing with the water pump I decided it was about time to make the new pulley for it. The old original one I'd made doesn't match the smooth style PS pump pulley.

Here's the original setup

So here's the beginnings of a new water pump pulley. It starts as a 6" diameter billet of aluminum. Somewhere inside it there is a pulley. I've just got to machine away the aluminium to find it.

I cleaned the swarf tray on the lathe before I started as it'll be interesting to see how much material is removed (I'm figuring more than half of this block will end up in the tray.

Cheers