Thread: Mark III Build
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2015, 07:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Survival Motorsports aluminum FE 482
Not Ranked     
Default Vibration at 60-70

I have a pretty bad vibration in the steering wheel from 60-70. It is intermittent. This tells me there is likely an imbalance in both wheels and when the imbalances align you get a bad shimmy. When they offset each other it goes away or is reduced.

I called the local tire dealer and started asking questions. The answers I got were not satisfactory. The service writer then suggested that they might not be the right place. I then called the Porsche dealer, I have had a couple Porsche's and have a relationship with them. As I discussed it with them they suggested they are also not the right place. They pointed me to Auto Europe. The local Morgan, Lotus dealer. I called them and they picked up on what I was saying immediately and offered a road force balance for $50 a wheel.

This morning I dropped off the wheels and the manager commented that the wheels were "static balanced" There was one string of weights not inside and outside weights. Hopefully this takes care of the problem because that is not a good feeling.

There are two kinds of fast, my Porsche 911 (991) was trust me fast. At any speed you felt in control. The Cobra at this point is far from trust me fast. I might call it hair on fire fast. I have no hair so it is not too painful. But it does not inspire confidence.