View Single Post
Old 08-20-2015, 07:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 714
Not Ranked     

Gents, thanks for all the great input.

I took the alternator and VR together to a shop in Cincy that could test both together. The VR had died and was not working. The version of the VR was $9, a cheapie brand. I replaced it with a Motorcraft Solid State one that is working. The old one worked for 9 years so I have excluded other causes. The exising alternator is fine and if you go to the Cobra Valley web site you will see it puts out significant amperage at a low rpm. That being said, my future conversion will be as a result of adding things llike possibly heated seats (I do not have a heater), chargers for cell phones, and other current suckers.

The battery is brand new and puts out up to 800 plus cca. It is a red top Optima. I did order the SW Voltage gage (part 82391) to look period correct or close to it. I think the AMP guage just went bad. The terminals are fine and no burnt wires or ends. I will simply tape them up and tie wrap them out of the way. Another reason I want the volt meter is to see how much the fan drags the voltage down. I have toyed with running a higher capacity fan due to the sitting in traffic effect when its in the 90's.

All in all, thanks for sharing the knowledge.

Phil