View Single Post
Old 08-23-2015, 09:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

Rick and Patrick,
Holy crap, I am getting educated big time...my head hurts
I understand everybody has their own way and interpretation of the best way to do things. I consider myself very fortunate to be able to get educated by people who are much smarter in areas I am not so swift in.
So after after researching what a fusible link is, I like that idea. It said to run 4 sizes under the wire to be protected. So if I am using 10 wire, then use 14 ga fusible link wire? Can you put this on the neg wire or just on the positive? Or both? Rick, you said you hooked up your POS with a 40 Amp fusible link. I am only seeing fusible links in wire sizes ex:14 gage...no specific amp rating. Did I miss something here?
My plan at this point is to lengthen the neg wire back to the trunk where the neg off the battery grounds to the frame. I think I will not lengthen the 12 gage POS wire but just connect it to the "unprotected" side of the CB on the firewall or the hot side of the solenoid with the fusible link(16 gage) in between 12 gage POS wire and the connection point. Does this sound OK? I also read no longer than 9' for a fusible link. Is shorter better?

Patrick you are saying you are running an MSD 50A CB? I thought you were using the one on the firewall from ERA( I am presuming it is from ERA). I do not know the rating on this CB.
Nice idea with the pin holes...maybe a #50 drill? 1 hole on each end? I need to think about it a little more because that will let the air in easier including the warm and cold extremes, it might make condensation easier to form. Do you think there are any electronics right next to the cover that I might hit with the drill? I would think not, but I never had one apart. as far as what Rick said about sealing the cover, I know they are dead set against that and the fact that is is not sealed should be an air source for evaporation I would think.
I know you guys know what a drip loop is, we use them all the time in helicopters. So with water coming in as Rick described, a drip loop would be great as the water would drip off the wire before it followed the wire into the box. So I think i will make sure every wire going to the box has a drip loop and I might take a blob of clear RTV and put it at the wire entry points into the box as Rick suggests. Maybe even some duct tape over any unused ports in the box.
I always thought/assumed the wires and box did not get wet in the rain, but I have never checked. I have only been caught in the rain a few times, but as Rick said, it comes in everywhere and for it to follow the wires right into the box seems very possible.

Also got educated on the Packard connections. Looks great if it is part of your job and have all the necessary tooling. If I was building a new Cobra I think I would definitely consider going this route!

Dave
ERA#698 428, 4 speed Toploader, 3:31 Jag rear