Old 08-24-2015, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave295 View Post
towy
I'm also chasing a zf s5 42 replacement. An option I've chased is a reco box imported from the US. They are about $1500-$2000. Most suppliers want a case as an exchange and will charge about $200-$500 extra if you do not return one. They call it a core deposit.
The code for the box reads as
zf- type
s5- 5 speed sychromesh
42- 420 foot pound of torque.
A heavy duty version of the box is the zf s5 47.
I need a replacement for a 1990ish model f150.
The auto option then, for both 2 and 4wd was a c6.
A 2wd c6 with a new prop shaft might be an option.
An older 4 speed new process box out of a 1980's f truck could be an option.
My 1990 f250 2wd has a c6 with a sterling/stirling diff. This has 8 wheel studs instead of the 5 and with 8 dual rear wheels can be fitted making a good tow vehicle.
My 1980ish f100 has a new process box with a 9" diff behind a 6 pot (same as xd or e).
Lots for you to think about.

Cheers

Dave
Dave,
The boxes in the 2000-2006 Brazilian built F250's were labelled S5-420 but they don't share the same ratios as the American built S5-420's which, incidentally, were used between 1987-1995. After that, as you know, they upgraded to the S5-47.
The ratios in the Australian delivered boxes are the same as the S5-47 ratios and although the steel cast boxes were labelled S5-42 they were in fact using the later model gears? The number count on the gears match up but I can't confirm they are exactly the same. Any of the American parts suppliers steer clear of the subject because they have no records or part numbers to go by.
I have ordered a reverse gear, 5th and reverse shift fork and slider and a full bearing synchro kit and apparently they fit. Spoke to my gearbox guy yesterday and he said yep they will be fine. Even with our pathetic dollar it was $750 delivered which is better than an F Truck supplier ($2,000) and FORD ($3,500) for the same stuff. I will get the 5th gear that I need so it should be ready sometime this week...... The gearbox guy said I would never break that gearbox.... mine just wore out....
And of course I can't source any performance stuff for the 6 cylinder motor because it wasn't offered for sale in North America......
I have seen YouTube videos of those motors making 1,000hp.......