View Single Post
Old 08-24-2015, 09:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

Cute Rick...LOL
This is the job I tackle next. My new slave, fire-sleeve and clutch Master cyl came yesterday. After I get that all finished, on to this MSD thing.
I called White Products earlier today. The woman's name was Rose, she was pretty knowledgeable.
I told her about the fusible link and that I heard to go 4 sizes under the wire I am trying to protect. She said this is true. She told me I would want to protect the 12 wire rather than the 10 wire used to extend the 12 wire. Not sure I agree with this. So that means I would be buying a #16 fusible link wire. As I said ealier, I probably will not extend the POS MSD wire, just hook it up to the hot side of the solenoid with the fusible link wire in between the two. Any idea how long to make the link. I have read no longer than 9". Could you actually go to short? So how long should I make or does it not even matter?
So here is the weird part. I told her what you said about the 40 Amp fusible link wire that you used. She said a 16 gage fusible link wire is equal to 75 Amps, a 14 gage fusible link wire is equal to 110Amp. I asked her what wire would equal 40 amps and I believe she said 22 gage. So what am I missing here because that is 10 wire sizes down, not 4 as recommended???
Please straighten me out, I want to order parts but confused on this information
Thanks...Dave
ERA#698 428, 4 speed Toploader, 3:31 Jag rear

Last edited by davids2toys; 08-24-2015 at 09:56 PM..