View Single Post
Old 08-25-2015, 03:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default What ever makes you happy and safe

davids2toys Dave I don't beleive in 100 years that the MSD 6AL draws ONLY 1 amp for every 1,000 rpms. Why the heavy 12 gauge wire then???
Remember I said overkill, THis fusible link is also like a resistor and you loss ampage going though it. IT's like a funnel you are pouring a fluid through, pour slow and you have no backup, pour fast and the funnel fills. Same applys for electrical curcuits. This is why good connections are so important.
Curcuits are tested with a steady load, not with startup spikes. Your fans on your car my draw 15-18 amps but the startup may be as high as 40-60 amps for a split second. For this second the ampage is way beyond the curcuit limit. The fuses are slow blows and are the safety protectors of the curcuit. This only last for .10 of a second. Over time a fuse or link will weakin from the heat or spike loads. I don't explain theory very good, too many days of missing school.
Any way Yes a 16# link would be ok, just no for me. The link will still blow if a dead short happens. With 12 Gauge on this curcuit I don't believe in having any problems. Other power curuits, yes with running a lighter gauge fuse, depending on the wire of that curcuit. I like to match up gauges.
PS stop finding things on the car. You are 3 hours away, any more problems, I am sending Pat to fix your car.