View Single Post
Old 08-27-2015, 08:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1867 , KC427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
I'm not sure why it was used. Poor choice. That much duration in a hydraulic roller with a 427 inch engine will kill the bottom end and kill the top end too. As I said before, this is what all the fingers are pointing at, IMO.

Nothing wrong with the 112 LSA, BTW, it helps with vacuum and with making the curve broader, but that duration is just out of the ballpark. When you see advertised durations near 320-330 degrees, that's why your cranking compression is very low.....TONS of overlap and the intake valve is not closing until very late.

I have custom hydraulic rollers that I like to use for my 427's and as I mentioned before, you're about 12-14 degrees too high...
Given that it was 10 years ago and I didn't have the motor built I can't really blame the motor builder. The builder may have highly advised against this but the owner may have insisted even against the builders advice.....who knows. We still have a list of things to go through but it sounds like I could be giving you a ring to spec a cam.