View Single Post
Old 08-29-2015, 12:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 2401 street 289 Cobra and CSX 3288 Street "427" Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default Cobra tool kits

The screwdrivers were all about 10.5" in length, no difference between the kits for the 427 and 289 cars. The screwdriver had to fit in the tool kit bag, which is only about 11" wide. There were two different tool bags that I know of, one style only coming to my attention in the last year shown to me by the original owner of his car. The old bag was carefully preserved in a plastic bag. I couldn't believe it was truly a factory supplied bag until I saw another one in a 13k mile car just 3 months ago.

The kits were all basically the same with a simple steel rod tommy bar, Elora 5 wrench set BSF/BFW sizes, Thor hammer (cooper and rawhide heads), pliers (2 styles), the brake bleeder wrench and the screwdriver.

The grooves in the screwdriver handle were cut AFTER the handle was painted, amazingly. The wood was european birch, if I recall correctly from my timber expert.

The decals were water slide. The lack of the bottom of the triangle on the decal on that screwdriver is because it has chipped off over the years.
Getting a water slide decal to conform to the contours of the handle is a real trick----I have tried it many, many times. Decal Set liquid helps the decal soften and mold to the shape, but then it becomes fragile, so... lots of luck!

The shaft of the screwdriver is 7mm in diameter, in my research a very tough diameter to find. Most modern ones are 8 mm.