View Single Post
Old 08-29-2015, 04:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile Opinions please about starting kit build.

I'm an older retired guy getting very interested in starting a kit build. I live in central North Carolina. The building experience is going to be a big and important part of this experience, maybe the most important. The earliest decision I'll need to make is where to get the engine, transmission, rear end axle, and other suspension parts. At this time I'm leaning toward a Factory Five kit with a small block Ford engine, for cruising and weekend drives. If I could afford I'd buy the complete kit and all the other necessary parts new, but I don't think I'll be able to do that. The way I see it I have 2 other options....first is to buy rebuilt and reconditioned parts, the second is to buy a donor car(Mustang). I'd really enjoy finding a donor car, striping it of the necessary parts and selling or giving away what's left. The problem with the donor car idea is I don't have the place/space and the necessary lifting equipment. It may be an option to find a shop to dismantle the donor for me and help find a home for the remaining parts. I'd really appreciate any input, ideas, experiences, etc....Thanks very much.