View Single Post
Old 09-01-2015, 05:48 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Evan, here it comes.

I'm not a "watch person" and know nothing about them. And I don't wear them. But the newer Rolex is CLEARLY A REPLICA. Same logic. IMO.

First, a watch is obviously not a car. Watches don't have to meet Federal safety and emissions regulations, which have dramatically changed automobiles over the past 50 years. If the watch was regulated by the Federal government, then watches would be completely different, even a Rolex.

Second, I'm going to assume that the watch building process and materials have changed over the last 30-50 years, no? The older Rolex is likely made differently using different metallurgy. So are the modern Shelby Cobra replicas. Does the newer Rolex use OEM parts and building processes from the 1960's?

Third, "coveted schmuveted." The older Rolex worth 5-10x more than the newer Rolex? 1960's Cobras are worth $1,000,000-$5,000,000. The most expensive Shelby replica will be the Resurrection Cobras at $500,000 per copy with $50,000 going to charity according to the press release. The 4000 series replicas are roughly $200,000+/-.

Fourth, did Rolex stop building watches for 30 years and change it corporate entity? Carroll Shelby International/Shelby American did.

Different processes, different company, different employees, different parts, and built 30-50 years after the original.

The modern Shelbys are replicas as are the modern Rolexes. To me anyway.
Oey vey. You really should change your user name to "Curmudgeon"

You also need to go back and "null and void" your above strained "analysis" (you really struggled with this one didn't you. Must have been painful ) which is laced with "assumptions", "I don't know" and statements of the obvious such as the gem that a watch is not a car.

Please explain to us how a gap in manufacturing "null and voids" the analogy. If Tom Kirkham shut production down and decided to manufacture duck decoys for 10 years and then decided to come back and restart Kirkham with new employees now having to source parts and components from new sources and use German aluminum and starting making Kirkham Cobras again would they not be real Kirkham Cobras?

Also, also to follow your logic (if we can call it that) new Indian Motorcycles are not Indian Motorcycles just the originals from 50 years ago?

The higher price that people will pay more for the older classic ones is based on rarity and the fact they are part of a set definite pool. People also pay more for new Rolexs from Rolex than fake Rolexs from the guy on the street in NYC don't they. People also pay more for current series Shelby Cobras from SAI then they pay for an LA Exotic, Unique etc.. that are fake Shelby Cobras.

Maybe you need to stop "squinting your eyes so hard" and open them.