View Single Post
Old 09-01-2015, 05:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav View Post
What parting tool do you use Mikey? I don't think mine would make it through a 70mm billet.
I think I need a rotary table next...
Parting was one of those things I had a lot of trouble with initially. I had a tool steel parting tool. The type that has a thin blade of tool steel mounted on its edge. I always had trouble with grinding the tip to get it to work properly. Unless you get the end spot on the blade will wander sideways or bind up and then grip in the slot resulting in a ruined work piece and bits of broken parting tool flying around.

These days I use an indexible tipped parting blade and a decent parting tool holder..

Parting Blade

Tool holder

The important thing is to get the tool height spot on and the blade square to the work piece. You don't want any tool chatter at all. You can use the face of the chuck to square things up. Lastly keep the coolant or cutting oil up to it. You don't want the tip of the tool to pick up or gall on the material cause it'll grip in the slot and then look out.

Parting larger pieces off is no problem. I was running the lathe at 770 RPM when I parted the pulley off. Easy.

Cheers