View Single Post
Old 09-02-2015, 04:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Marginally. The rules as I read them would allow a small manufactuer (e.g., Superformance) to sell a completed vehicle with power train. But that power train would have to meet current emissions requirements. So you could build a Cobra with an engine but it would have to have a (for example) Coyote engine complete with catalytic converters.

While some replicas may benefit, most Cobras would not. Who wants a Cobra with a muffled/cat'd exhaust? I'm not even sure there would be room for cats even in an undercar exhaust configuration.
Fit the side pipes with catalytic converters. See this link: Catalytic Converters

The Cobra builders in the U.K. and Australia have been facing this for a while now, and AK even makes a special converter than installs ahead of the side pipes: Exhaust Side Pipes 5" with Catalytic Converters - AK Sportscars - Cobra Replica Kit Car

Edit: Added the following

Magnaflow makes 4" OD converters in 2.5", 3" and 3.5" inlet versions (smaller as well), that s/b able to be fitted to side pipes: http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...4956/overview/ http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...4959/overview/

Flowmaster makes them as well, as do a number of other manufacturers.

Vibrant makes a 3.5" inlet, 4.5" OD 'Ultra High Output' converter - high flow for high HP engines.

Bottom line is that, while converter placement in side pipes is probably not the ideal location, there are 'off the shelf' solutions available. I'm sure Superformance or other 'Small Volume Manufacturers' could also get custom converters built if that was necessary to sell additional cars.

Given the sound deadening / muffling which occurs in catalytic converters, would side pipe mufflers even be necessary or would the converters be enough?

Last edited by cycleguy55; 09-02-2015 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: Additional content