View Single Post
Old 09-11-2015, 12:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427sharpe View Post
Think you are correct about upper control arm movement--the Mii's were known for the UCA nuts losing their grip. The serrations on the flange of the nut wear out. Should be easy to check as it probably scraped the mount pretty bad. If not, just compare to other side; they should be about the same as far as location from alignment. Brakes would usually only be a problem when braking unless a caliper locked up by circumstance.
If the serrations wear out on the nuts, would replacement nuts with fresh serrations aid in preventing a recurrence? I see Speedway has a kit with 4 T-headed bolts and nuts - is this what I'd need? (Mustang II Upper Control Arm Bolts) It looks like the threads are standard 1/2" x 13 TPI, so I'll check into picking up some nuts. I would also expect a shop specializing in frame and wheel alignment would stock such nuts.

I note the UCA cross shafts have holes, not slots - those are in the spring hats / mounts, so any movement would have to be the UCA cross shaft moving relative to the spring hat. That leads me to believe it may have not been properly tightened with it was last in for the wheel alignment. Make sense?

I drove it about 30 miles after the 'clunk' and detected no signs of a brake dragging. Regardless, the clunk was right front and it would need to be a left front brake to make it pull left.