View Single Post
Old 09-12-2015, 02:05 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids2toys View Post
AYIYIYI
So what is the purpose for the ohms function on the multi-meter if it is useless. I did a quick Google search on voltage drop test and in what I do understand, it makes sense!
Well, completely useless may be an overstatement. The only times I actually measure ohms in an automotive troubleshooting situation, as opposed to just using my ohm meter as a glorified test light, are: 1) When I have the manufacturer's troubleshooting instructions that specify what the resistance must be on a particular piece of hardware (common); 2) I am comparing two pieces of hardware to see if there is an obvious and big difference (rarely); 3) I am performing the "jiggle" test (common).

If I'm tracking down a bad connection, I use the voltage drop test. I think that's the number one electrical test that shade tree mechanics, working on "old school" type of cars, should be familiar with. You're right, there are lots of videos showing how to use the Voltage Drop Test -- it's pretty easy to learn.