View Single Post
Old 09-17-2015, 08:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #318, 418 CI, 532 RWHP, Mass Flow Injected, TKO600-Road Race, BMW M3 Suspension, Race Springs (Wouldn't do it again, rough on the street).
Not Ranked     

I have to agree with bobcowan on this one. For years now I have been running a Mass Flo EFI system, the old A9L Ford Computer based system. It's on a 418 small block with an extreme cam, AFR 205 heads and a lot of compression. A little tuning by the Mustang boys from Ford on a plug in chip got it up to 506 at the tires, just for grins. BUT, it still idles at 900 and does shake the whole car but at about 1,500 you would think it's a grocery getter rotary, very smooth all the way to 7,200. Starts without touching the pedal every time, hot or cold, runs on 92 octane easily and gets great gas milage if you behave yourself. Beautiful cruiser on the highway, smooth as glass thanks to the EFI.

I need to upgrade to the new computer (which I think is the current Ford rebranded but I'm not sure) and whatever bits are needed, but it's kind of hard to break up what has been working so well for so long on a street car.

After thought, the self tuning aspect was just "OK" and it ran very well just plugging it in/up and driving it a while. No complaints and I think most folks would be very happy leaving it alone in our light cars.

But the numbers were telling and I think at wide open throttle is where the tuning really made the difference. 430 before and 506/535 after, confirmed by unplugging the chip and making back to back runs on an honest dyno and operators at Ford racing. I'm not sure the actual numbers are all that meaningful except for the difference between them. No difference in drivability at all, just some extra punch from the midrange up, and maybe a little snappier on throttle response, maybe.

I may have a Mass Flo for sale if I can get the courage to pull the trigger on the new one........or maybe not. But everyone knows how that goes.

Good luck