View Single Post
Old 09-20-2015, 05:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default My 2c worth

I started out a long time ago wanting a Ford motor with a 9 inch but I ended up with a Lexus motor and Skyline rear end. Sometimes it just works out that way.

The cobra community is evolving. At the end of the day its your dream and you do whatever you desire. My Toyota powered V8 8TB car was great but not for the purists. I owned a 1/2 share in a turbo'd Lexus which was great too but a long way from todays offerings. I've got a 351w in my track cobra and I've also got an LS2 in a Daytona. Do I have a preference, no. They both have their strengths and weaknesses and go like ASOS but I'm not overly concerned as to their power plant provenance.

There are some outstanding cars out there. All different types of configurations. Drb, Harrison, RMC, Superformance, Classic Revival, Robnell, Pace, Factory 5 PLus many more etc etc etc
There are less manufacturers out there now than 10 years ago but the quality of the ones remaining is very good and improving.

Look at Aussie Mikes car, The B Club crews Classic Revival cars, Leroys rebuild, Brads AP. There's so many options and avenues the list is never ending.

Last year, I wanted another car. Sought out an RCR GT40 and looked into a FIA Cobra and I tried a few suppliers for options and in the end opted out for a 2nd hand car rather than having a new one built or shipped in from OS. And the Daytona I bought was not on my radar at all.

It was simply the end result having tried to achieve different things from the marketplace with varied success. You may very well achieve a different outcome.

The biggest thing imo is to have a realistic expectation and talk to people about cars and their experiences. Then halve your expectation and double the time frame and budget and you'll be in the zone. Find a seller or manufacturer that you're on the same page with in relation to expectation and the delivery of that expectation. I found with my cobra purchase from an OS supplier that their keenness to talk to me reduced a fair bit once I'd sent the funds. That's how I felt about it anyway, they may disagree. The level of communication became a bit lopsided. Which was very suckful! No one wants to $hitcan the brand of car they've just forked out wads of coin for but I can tell you there is nothing more frustrating when the dialogue and promises all dry up once the funds have been sent or deal done. You're then at their mercy which is real bugbear of mine and I try to avoid that. Which is why after my OS experience and forming a collective on the local market that I simply found a car I liked and bought it privately. It wasn't about the $'s it was about the qualified angst I'd endure which in this life I can simply do without.

Just do your research, talk to cobra people, go for a drive in a few and then talk to some more people. The decision is yours. There is lots of great information out there, the cobra community is a special one and we are all pretty lucky to be a part of it. Welcome aboard and see you at the Nats.

Regards Spookypt

Last edited by spookypt; 09-20-2015 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: FAI to FIA