View Single Post
Old 09-22-2015, 02:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MK III Roadster, Roush 402
Not Ranked     

David's suggestion above panned out. Had an electrical failure at a cold start. Did not try and start with the transmission in gear this time. Everything else was the same: key in ignition, turn to run, hear the electrical start up noise, and the gas gauge needle starts to rise. Turn the key to start, and hear the solenoid like click and the gas needle starts to drop, there is no power anywhere, and the engine will not turn over. Check the battery voltage: 12.75. Hooked a jumper cable to the negative battery terminal, and clipped the other end to one of the bolts securing the starter to the bell housing. I turned the key to run, heard the electrical energize noise, and the gas needle starts to rise. Moved the key to start, and the engine turns over and catches. When my mechanic troubleshot this in June, he checked the three original chassis grounding straps, and added a fourth one. The closest grounding strap is a four gauge wire running from the chassis next to the starter down to a bolt connecting the bell housing to the block, 6 inches from the starter.

Does this mean the negative ground failure is between the negative battery terminal and the chassis?