View Single Post
Old 09-23-2015, 04:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Cobra #273, 427 S/O, ERA GT-40 #2057, Excalibur Cobra.
Not Ranked     
Default Paint

OKAY - - -

I believe I have the Paint Thing sorted out.

A friend, who was working for Koons Ford in Fall Church, VA in the mid-sixties, had come by a complete (?) "accessory set" which 'somehow' did not reach the customer who purchased the new 1965 427 Cobra. The "accessory set" allegedly included "a bunch of hand tools wrapped in a black (or dark blue) vinyl case (?), a 'cheap' little jack, a tonneau cover, two small "manuals"and a grease "plunger".

The subject of this hair pulling encounter eventually informed me that he had sold, lost or given away most of the 'stuff'. He still has the black (or blue) vinyl case because he had wrapped some Old Coins in it and buried them. (Honest, Guys, you can't make this sh!t up). The only thing he still has available is the grease "plunger" because it works really well on some old Tractors that he is restoring.

(Long story - somewhat - shorter). I drove out to his farm at Hamilton, VA and compared his grease "plunger" with my grease gun. I wiped his down with some kerosene and the paint is IDENTICAL to mine; a sort-of light blue/green hammer tone finish.

I took my grease gun today to Home Depot and explained to the guy at the paint dept. exactly what I was doing. "Oh, man - great - real cool - I can't wait to tell my girlfriend - she's a real Car Nut". An hour and twenty minutes later I walked out with the Perfect Match Paint. I had to promise to bring the tool kit by when its finished. I will do that along with a bottle of good single malt.

I have to say - - I was Very Happy with the mixed paint color results we were getting after a half hour. Terry - the paint guy was NOT. Ergo, the extra fifty minutes.

The Formula for this mixture is:

One Quart can of Rust-Oleum "Hammer" in silver color. The "Letters" below are the color codes of the added ingredients. The "Numbers" are the number of color Units. One "unit" equals .384 of an ounce.

CL - 29, EL - 120, IL - 38, KXL - 250, DL - 120.

Terry was nice enough to write down his formula. He said that the paint could be "sprayed on" but that it should come out just fine using a "Good Quality, Professional grade brush.

I hope this helps.

Y'all have a really great day.

BLACKJACK

Last edited by BLACKJACK; 09-23-2015 at 04:26 PM..