View Single Post
Old 09-27-2015, 05:25 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
Dearest Evan,

It brings great joy to me on this fine day that you and I are in full agreement that your most-excellent car is indeed a 100% genuine Shelby American Cobra.

I agree that no one who is knowledgeable in the field of Cobras would be misled in regards to your fine automobile's lineage. They would understand the distinction between the CSX4xxx and CSX3xxx series. However, a person not knowledgeable in the field of Cobras would misconstrue a license plate or a statement that said it is a real one. While such a statement may be true in one context, it is misleading in the context of the question being asked.

Of course, your ClubCobra moniker also brings one to engage you in conversation on these points.

As to bitterness, quite the contrary. I am always pleased to see that there are those that have the where-with-all to spend money on such luxury items. Of particular delight is to see a Cobra crammed with a cammer. Then there is the unique case of the million dollar billet Kirkham. Wonderful stuff.

My real interest is a 1959-1961 Corvette. But alas, I have five friends with that very car. Their concerns of damage and other concerns are at such a level that they do not drive their cars. I felt that I would be no different. I wanted a car I would drive, not look at. So I bought a cheap Cobra so that I would have no concerns in this regard. To date, that has been the case.

Kindest Regards,
Paul F
Paul: Your consideration and acknowledgment is most appreciated. Thank you for acknowledging my car is indeed a 100% genuine Shelby Cobra.

Yes, some may construe my plate (REAL 427) as intimating my car is of original origin but the word "Continuation" wouldn't fit when I applied for vanity plates. But my plate does factually truthfully state what the car is and in fact what my engine is, which is a genuine '65 427 SO. While it is hard to explain the distinction between original and Continuation while behind the wheel while the car is in motion to other motorists who are behind me, nevertheless when inquires are made while the car is stopped I do make clear it is a Continuation Series Cobra whenever possible. I am proud of the Continuation series moniker and have no need to pretend it is an original. I love my car.

While my plate moniker may confuse other motorists as what generation my Shelby belongs to, your plate moniker in fact totally misleads them as to what your car in fact is. Your plate moniker could clearly be argued as far more objectionable I'm afraid than my plate moniker which is truthful and accurate and merely requires a simple clarification when asked. Your assertion is kind of like the pot calling the kettle black except in this case the kettle isn't black but the pot is. But, alas I agree, its all in fun so no real harm no real foul. Just make a simple observation.

Your desire for what I'll say is an "inexpensive" car (as opposed to "cheap" car as you said) for fear that there are those here that like to take things I say out of context is completely understandable and reasonable. This apparently is your criteria and based on that criteria makes your car "better" for you, does it not? I too worry from time to time about driving very expensive vehicles and also worry about the little old lady in the Buick. Absolutely.

Important part is to respect others and what they own and promote the hobby and the Cobra as it is in jeopardy of being lost to future generations based on waning interest of the upcoming generations.

Last edited by REAL 1; 09-27-2015 at 05:44 PM..