Thread: Dial Indicators
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2015, 03:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Make the job easier

Phil You may need a slide hammer to remove the pins. Once you get the pins out, remove the sparkplugs. This makes it alot easier to rotate the motor and get better numbers on the dial indicator.
With your numbers, they both can't be in the + side. There should be plus and negative number readings. Do like the video and mark down the numbers at 12,3,6,9, and lets see what we get. If the one pin comes out easy, pull it other wise, just leave it until we get good numbers. I know this is a pain in A$$ but you just work through it.
Remember the dial goes in both directions, + and -. This may be where your numbers are confussed. Being .040" off could be correct and you need to slide the bell the other way to drop and raise the numbers and it will even out. You are doing fine.
Get the wife or a kid to rotate the motor slowly while you record the numbers. I think you will see the dial go from plus to minus and back. Rick
Grab a cold one and look at the 2 videos on doing this. You are doing the same thing.