View Single Post
Old 10-01-2015, 10:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Cobra #273, 427 S/O, ERA GT-40 #2057, Excalibur Cobra.
Not Ranked     
Default Total authenticity (?)

The guy with the "Grease Plunger" stopped by for coffee this morning. (Does this guy Ever work??). We went downstairs to my shop to recover my grease gun body from the drying shelf and give it a final inspection.

I was aghast!! The tears began to well up. THERE - on my otherwise perfect grease gun body was a (barely perceptible) paint "run" about 5/8" long. I invented several new 'swear words' as I frantically grabbed for the sand paper.

"STOP", shouted my friend - as he tore the sand paper from my grasp. "Look here", he demanded, thrusting his 'grease plunger' in front of my eyes. "Good Gawd", I uttered as my eyes focused on where his finger was pointed. There, for all the world to see, on his ORIGINAL Grease Plunger, were TWO small paint runs; one about 3/8" and a second about 3/4". They, like mine, were emanating from the 'crimped' end and running toward the base. They had previously gone completely unnoticed as a result of my exuberance.

Relief, like a gentle summer breeze, swept in and calmed all present.

A few quick wipes on the shaft with a polishing cloth, lubricating the inside of the body and we re-assembled my Grease Gun. It appears to be a "Brand New" item otherwise EXACTLY like my friends - - which he proclaims to be TOTALLY AUTHENTIC. And just who am I to challenge the wisdom and experience of a gentleman (at least my age) who at 10:00 AM is peering at my collection through a ten inch magnifying glass while working on his Second Glass of Bourbon from off of my Drying shelf.

The Grease Gun is now assembled. It looks great. I'm going to stand it up on my drying shelf for another 24 hours to fully cure the paint. Then, I'm going to place it in my display case WITH THE 5/8" PAINT RUN FACING "UP".

A story worth retelling.

Y'all have a really great day.

BLACKJACK

PS: Yes - - the paint is a PERFECT match with the Grease Plunger. Thank you Terry and Home Depot. It is indistinguishable form a professional spray paint job; not a brush stroke to be found - ONLY the "highly authentic" paint run.