View Single Post
Old 10-02-2015, 12:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427 - completed and on the road!
Not Ranked     

Hi Dean,

Overall I am happy, but I have had some frustrations along the way. Some of those were avoidable and were often caused by a lack of experience (or an over-exuberance) on my part, so I'm a lot more knowledgeable now than I was then.

For me, Neil Streeting was an invaluable resource and without him, I would not have as good a car as I do. He knew the idiosyncrasies and tricks to building a great car and he helped me a lot. He has recommended and made changes based on his knowledge and experience that I wouldn't have thought of. So, for instance, I ditched the wiring loom in the kit and got an auto-electrician to custom wire it for me. The windscreen rubber has been replaced with a wider one, the gear lever has been extended to make it an easier shift, changing the way then seats bolt in and a few other things. Many are small things, but they make a difference

This is my first build, and the first time I have attempted anything like this, so I can't compare between kits. But I can say that the car itself is an incredibly well made one, way beyond what I have observed in other kits. It is also a joy to drive - lots of leg space, it's comfortable and it drives very well - no extra gym classes to build the muscles in my left leg for a heavy clutch, for instance.

And in hindsight, having finished the car, it is elegantly made in terms of the parts. Have things gone wrong, or been frustrating? Yes, but I think that would have been the case no matter what kit I had built.

Now that it is finished, I wouldn't have wanted to build any other kit - but then I am probably biased!!!

Cheers,

Richard