View Single Post
Old 10-07-2015, 05:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobura View Post
Aside from the looks, which are not attractive to me, I have been interested in the use of an air dam to reduce the air temperature in the engine compartment of my car. Using a remote air temperature sensor in the air cleaner housing, I have observed temperatures above 150 degrees F. It has been alleged that the hood scoop does not perform the function that it was intended to do, which is to provide a path of cooler air to the engine intake. The allegation seems to be correct according to my measurements. So, my limited understanding of car aerodynamics is that an air dam aids a car to "hug the road" due to the lower air pressures created under the car by the air dam. If this is so, it would seem that the air dam would increase the removal of hot air from the engine compartment as well. Is there any data available to prove this?
An easier way to do this is to install some hood louvers so that the hot air can better get out of the engine compartment.

Maybe someone who road races these cars can tell us where the best placement would be, ie, right behind the radiator, or near the rear of the hood where it would draw the air throughout the whole engine compartment.