View Single Post
Old 10-20-2015, 01:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Python ford 302 ho, 4 speed toploader, jag irs 3.54
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeve View Post
OK, so to get back on topic, you know your head gasket is backwards, but because a thermometer mounted somewhere completely different tells you a low temp you feel OK.

Except that a Windsor gasket mounted backwards would stop all the flow through one of your heads.

So apart from the fact that the heads are the hottest part of the engine, everyone here says the thermometer sitting miles away which isn't getting any hot water because you don't have any flow through one of the hot bits is fine.

I reckon a head gasket it cheap compared to blowing something more seriously. Check it properly, know for sure.

Treeve
Before removing the head I would put a laser temp gauge on the head and check several points to see if there are any hot points and compare the 2 heads. I found the laser temp gauge such a handy tool and they are not expensive anymore. I found that the temp gauge and thermostat where buggered on an old fairlane was reading 105c on the gauge in the car and with the laser on the thermostat and the temp sender it was actually 73c, new gauge and thermostat no more overheating problems.