View Single Post
Old 10-20-2015, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Evans and Wooley, 302 Windsor, Supra turbo 5sp
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeve View Post
OK, so to get back on topic, you know your head gasket is backwards, but because a thermometer mounted somewhere completely different tells you a low temp you feel OK.

Except that a Windsor gasket mounted backwards would stop all the flow through one of your heads.

So apart from the fact that the heads are the hottest part of the engine, everyone here says the thermometer sitting miles away which isn't getting any hot water because you don't have any flow through one of the hot bits is fine.

I reckon a head gasket it cheap compared to blowing something more seriously. Check it properly, know for sure.

Treeve
Hi Treeve,

Hmm perhaps I should have continued on the path to pulling the heads off. I had the inlet and exhaust manifolds off and started thinking about rocker value clearances did some research and thought if I get this wrong things could go from bad to worse. When I had the inlet manifold off I could see the tell tale rusty color in the water jacket this also made me think the head gasket was ok.

I know the radiator was badly blocked so maybe that was the problem and they just used a different type of gasket when the engine was built. To my knowledge from speaking to the previous owner and the original builder the heads haven't been off since the engine was built (gasket tags are the same color as the block). The original owner had no problems with over heating.

You make a very valid point regarding the location of the temp sender, it is located on the passenger side of the block at the front of the inlet manifold (Edelbrock Performer RPM). The suspected reversed gasket is on the drivers side bank. Therefore if I am getting water flow past the temp gauge I am getting a false reading. I ran this theory past both mechanics and they said it wouldn't matter if i had a flow problem in the block it would over heat regardless.

So in summary still a bit confused, but you are right the only way to be sure is pull the heads off which I reckon is probably a job for a mechanic. The theory is easy but practice is often very different particularly when getting clearances right.

Thanks for your thoughts Treeve