Thread: Overheating?
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2015, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesaway View Post
I do need to check the timing just need to find the timing gun but that was something that has been suggested. On the vac advance front the dizzy does have vacuum advance and it is feed from the carby which is a holley. I recently replaced the tube for this as it was old and didn't fit tightly.

Thanks
OK - Holleys have different vacuum sources depending on the model. You want to hook it up to a vacuum source that comes from below the throttle blades and not above. Basically just make sure it's pulling a strong vacuum signal when idling by pulling the hose off the carb and making sure there is good suction.

A ported vacuum source is from above the throttle blade and has a low vacuum signal at idle but it will increase at steady throttle as the throttle is opened and airflow increases. OK for the highway but doesn't do much at idle or low speed.

I have an old Corvette and factory was ported vacuum advance - switching it to manifold vacuum outlet off the Holley dropped it's water temperature when running around town by probably 15 - 20 degrees. It was a startling difference. Good luck.