View Single Post
Old 10-22-2015, 11:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison#97 LS7 / T56
Not Ranked     

I just noticed that there aren't any washers on the brake balance bar. I almost forgot mine. They are to prevent the push rod knuckles binding at extreme angles. It's still amazing how much work goes into a car. Even on a production car it takes a lot of man hrs.
JD

Simon, Have a look at Wilwood or Tilton bias adjustment cable. I think they are a must...with a balance bar. Muz

Muz, my engineer said you can't have one of those as "the driver is not allowed to adjust the bias whilst driving etc" So in theory only the balance bar that is adjusted when vehicle is stationary etc using the spanners etc.

(I have one installed though but only connected "When on the race track")

Disclaimer: This is what I was told by VASS engineer - I am no expert on ADRs etc.

Some states require that the balance bar be made non adjustable (welded) after the certifying engineer is satisfied with the brake bias.

Hi Guys,

Just to address a couple of comments/suggestions regarding that pic of Simon's brake bias /pedals.

There's no need on these Tilton pedal boxes for any washers...Tilton don't recommend nor supply them, as the radius of the surfaces etc., don't allow any binding issue.
There was a comment suggesting that the push rods would bind when they reach "extreme angles"...I guess that means if the front brake push rod and the rear brake push rods are adjusted to push as completely different levels??

My understanding is that these two push rods "almost" push as the same time...i.e. not one pushing for an inch or so, and then the other one kicking in.

They"almost" should be pushing at the same time.
( Hope that makes some sort of sense)

And with regards to being able to set up some sort of "remote" adjustment, and also a fixed/welded bar....and whether that complies with the ADR requirements....

Craig has offered the following info.....

For explanation purposes, I have used simple terminology.

For registration compliance it fundamentally comes down to whether the change is performed by adjustment or by modification.

Adjustments are performed by changing or manipulating a hand control such as button, knob etc. It is still considered a (hand) adjustment even if the hand control is out of reach of the driver e.g. in the engine bay.

A modification is a change that is performed that requires a tool e.g. spanner to adjust the brake bias on a pedal box, spanner required to adjust the ride height on coil over suspension, etc. Obviously you can’t stop anyone from modifying anything on a vehicle.

e.g. Being able to use your hand to change the brake bias while vehicle is in motion or when stationary is not allowed. If the adjustment requires a tool, then that is fine. So by tightening the locking nut on the pedal box brake bias adjuster meets the requirements and needs to be performed before registration inspection. Welding or some other method of affixing would only be required if the adjustment had no locking mechanism.

e.g. Using your hand to change the ride height below ADR minimum while vehicle is in motion or when stationary is not allowed. If the ride height adjustment requires a tool, then that is fine. So that is why we can use coil over shock absorbers on our kits. But they are set at an appropriate ride height that meets ADR minimum requirements before registration inspection. (I am not going to get into Air Bags and Hydraulics as that is a more detailed discussion.)

There should be no difference between the states in this regard.

Hopefully the time I've spent on this isn't wasted, and is of some help....

Cheers,
Warren.

Last edited by Wazza; 10-22-2015 at 11:35 PM..